Sunday, July 10, 2011

Moments of Intersection

Every now and then the path we're on intersects with another's. For that period of time we overlap, even twist and parallel. It's exciting and new and enlightening. People say that everything happens for a reason. I think most people want to believe in god's plan or some sort of Jungian synchronicity. (Need a moment to Google that? Go ahead. I'll wait.) As an atheist I don't buy into either notion. The idea that a person or object has entered my life for the sole purpose of enlightening me in one way or another is  absurd to me. I do, however believe when we're fortunate to intersect our path with another's, it's crucial to cherish and learn what we can.

Everything in life is a learning opportunity. When we fail to cherish those that come in to our lives, even briefly, we miss a chance to learn something about ourselves and the world around us. You meet amazing people everyday but perhaps don't realize it. It isn't god's plan that I've met some really amazing people over the past few weeks. The difference is I've taken time to notice them. No one is manipulating our reality to make sure people touch us & teach us. You just have to be willing to learn. When it's time for our paths to veer off in separate directions, take comfort in knowing you've grown as a person and are a little wiser for having the experience. 

I empower myself by believing in myself and taking note of the world around me. This is beautiful. This is real. I don't need someone else to tell me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment